Browser Privacy | Cookieless Tracking - ETag
Posted April 17, 2022 by Josh ‐ 2 min read
Cookies may be on their way out, but tracking users is not. As with most thing, if one method gets restricted companies always seem to find another way.
Video Link – https://youtu.be/rsET1-e0acc
For some reason, I wasn’t able to get Firefox to send a blank header even with the
Empty header mode enabled. Perhaps it’s something with the browser. As a workaround, enter a
space in the
Value box once you get to step 5. Click the
Value box, and hit your space bar once. After that, everything should work as expected. If you know why it’s not working, please reach out.
How to send an empty ‘If-None-Match’ HTTP header
- Download and install the extension/add-on
ModHeaderfor your browser (links below)
- After the install has completed, click the icon in the menu bar.
- Click the
- In the
If-None-Match. Since we want to send an empty header, leave the
Valuebox empty (Firefox users enter a space).
In order to send an empty header, we much enable the option in the extension/add-on.
- Click the 3 vertical dots in the top right corner of the extension/add-on settings box.
- Scroll to the bottom where you will see the heading
Empty header mode.
- Select the
Send empty headeroption.
Your configuration should look similar to the following image:
At this point your browser is now configured to send an empty
If-None-Match HTTP Header. To test, visit the follow URL - https://hinternesch.com/page1.html. If everything is working as expected, you should see
Your ID is . if you see something else, then it’s not working as expected.
Links referenced for video
- https://levelup.gitconnected.com/no-cookies-no-problem-using-etags-for-user-tracking-3e745544176b - Main article referenced
- https://hinternesch.com/page1.html - ETag tracking example website from article
- https://www.wendys.com/cookies-and-tracking-2020 - Wendy’s Cookies and Tracking Policy
- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Caching - Mozillia HTTP caching wiki